Friday, September 9, 2011

Heart Warming Birthday Card for a Special Lady

I was asked by a co-worker to make a card for her BFF. Since it has a picture I asked her if I could post it here. My co-workers BFF has battled breast cancer for the last 8 1/2 years. Recently the cancer has spread to her brain and is getting worse. Her birthday is next week and she asked me to make her BFF a special card to show her how much she loves her. She asked me to include a few things, 1. that it included one of her favorite pictures of them, 2. to include a pink ribbon and 3. she mentioned her nickname was "Red". In the card request email she sent me, she stated that her BFF is also a card maker/scrapbooker and will really love and appreciate one of my cards. I was so touched that she considered me to make such a special card and I really wanted to make something special, not only for the wonderful brave lady receiving it, but also for her BFF (my co-worker) that I hope would express their friendship. Here is what I came up with.

This is the card closed.
I used the picture she provided me and and made a frame with nestabilities. I also used a piece of transparency over the picture to protect it. The paper is My Minds Eye "Pretty Please". The cake I made with Lawn Fawn "Bake me a Cake" stamp set by paper piecing it. As you already know, I LOVE this set! I added stickles for the frosting for that added bling. The birds to the left of the picture is also Lawn Fawn and is from the mini set "Fly Free". The (You inspire me) is from Hero Arts "Friends"stamp set. "Red" I made using Lawn Fawn "Jessie's ABC's". Best Friends is made with Lawn Fawn "Say Cheese Too".
 
Here is the card Open in the "Standing" position.
I used the Hero Arts "Friends" set to stamp all over the paper. The sentiment is Hero Arts "Sending Smiles Messages". I used Distress Ink in "Briken China" to go around each layer and on the sentiment section I also used "Bundled Sage".

Here is a close up of the little bird holding the pink breast cancer ribbon. I wanted the bird and the ribbon to be on the side of the person battling as if to say it was watching over her. I cut it with my cricut initially but at the size I cut it I didn't think it looked good so I hand cut this one.

 Here is a close up of the cake and all my paper piecing. All the papers used were from the same mini 6x6 stack. which I actually got free with a cardmeking magazine I bought. SCORE!!
I'm very happy with the way this card turned out and I was so inspired by her story. My co-worker loved it and I hope "Red" does too. She is definately in my thoughts and prayers.

Gina

No comments:

Post a Comment